One could write volumes on the topic of online resources. In this space, all I will have a chance to do is mention a few general areas, each with a few examples, one “more popular”, one “less popular” and sometimes an “honorable mention” or two.
Note 1: Capitals in web addresses are there for readability; web domains are case insensitive.
Note 2: All links are listed at blog.teky.ca where you can comment on these resources, and suggest others. Comments are only open for this article, and only for a short time.
- Search Engines: Google.ca DuckDuckGo.org
- Encyclopedia: Wikipedia.org Everipedia.org
- Shopping (so many!): eBay.ca Amazon.ca Walmart.ca
- Used goods: UsedCowichan.com VarageSale.com
- Real estate: Realtor.ca ZooCasa.com
- News: news.Google.ca CBC.ca/news CHEKnews.ca BBC.com
- Newspapers: SouthCowichanLife.ca TimesColonist.com CowchanValleyCitizen.com
- Social media: Facebook.com Twitter.com
- Fun/learning for kids: FunBrain.com PBSKids.org StarFall.com Kids.NationalGeographic.com
- Maps: maps.Google.ca Trailforks.com Wikiloc.com
- Weather: TheWeatherNetwork.com/ca Weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-29_metric_e.html
- Books: Amazon.ca/books GoodReads.com
- TV: CTV.ca Knowledge.ca
- TV + Movies: Netflix.com Amazon.ca/movies
- TV/Movie Databases: IMDB.com RottenTomatoes.com Next-Episode.net
- Music: play.Google.ca/music Shoutcast.com Spotify.com
- Videos: YouTube.com Flixxy.com
- Travel: TripAdvisor.ca Yelp.ca
- Phone book: YellowPages.ca canada411.ca
Next time, I will explain what the http:// and https:// signify at the start of these web addresses, and the related change that is on the horizon.